Sunday 10th September 2006
By Paul Tanton
This game saw us have 17 players to pick from so we chopped and changed quite a bit making full use of the roll-on subs rule.
Again our passing was good and this time we took our chances. Dawson scoring a hat-trick, which hopefully will be the first of many this season. Neil Connelly chipping the keeper with a good set-piece which perhaps we need to use more often. Terry Connor with a cannonball shot and Judgie with a tap-in which he says is striker''s instinct. Defensively we rarely looked troubled but Jumbo did save a penalty.
Colin Judge again awarded himself man of the match.
After losing a few players in the summer we have brought in some good replacements.
* Jumbo - played a few times last season but this season is our number one, looks like a quality keeper and very dominant on crosses.
* PG - his pace and reading of the game will be a great asset.
* Terry Connor - looks very solid down the left.
* Nana - Nana is back after a few years on sabbatical, will cause any team problems with his pace and close control.
* Dan Head - his work-rate and constantly hassling will cause defences problems.
* Sam Small - Sam played a few times last year but wasn''t a regular, but this season I think will look the part on the right.
These new players together with our existing established players means we should have a decent season. We must have the confidence to continue our passing game which looks good in the friendlies against the tougher league opposition. It was great to see the changing room banter back on Sunday which I think is vital. Also and even more vital is player availability as we need to have a strong up for it squad every week to face some quality opposition.
The league starts this week away to Eden Park Rangers and we need to be there early (10am at the ground). It''s important to get off to a good start.